Friday, September 19, 2008

This outrigger thing is such an addiction. I can't wait to get out on the water every day. And the beauty of it is, there's no such thing as bad conditions. Okay, too many days in a row of flat might be bad or lightning for days on end like we had earlier in the summer but right now? With all the tropical storms finding their way north? It's all good.

The sucky thing is I strained my bicep tendon on Tuesday. This is the same thing that gives me so much trouble with heavy weights. Right arm fails because the tendon slips out of the notch and drags across my shoulder. Really painful and aches right down to my wrist. I ran into Karen as I was leaving the club that night and she recommended Traumeel. I've never heard of this topical anti-inflammatory before but she told me I could get it at Hoopers so I went over and picked some up. Pretty incredible result. The effect is like rubbing aspirin into an injury in the sense of pain relief! Over the years I've had people give me tiger baum, flex, A535, etc. With each, I didn't notice any improvement or relief and some were just damn smelly.

Anyway, I took Wednesday off and ran instead but Thursday, with 1 metre waves, I couldn't stay on shore. I probably should have though. Tonight was more of the same - the waves weren't huge but they gave a great run. In fact, I had the best ride I've had this entire season in terms of speed and reading the water right. I went out with Liz who always gives me a good push.

My Garmin's battery died just as I lef the dock. That'll teach me to keep it charged since this was one run for which I would've loved to have feedback. I was staying on top of the bumps for some good speed but specifically caught two really good waves that pushed me well ahead with no effort. I'd like to say it was skill that put me on them but it was just dumb luck. Anyway, I'll take it! As I said to Liz later, I did the opposite of everything I usually do.

Doug invited me to come along for the down-winder the guys are planning from Burloak tomorrow afternoon and as much as my arm is aching, I really want to test for myself. We'll see how the wind shapes up. This wouldn't be the first time we had a forecast of good conditions that blew themselves out overnight.

A couple of things that are bugging me...bunions. What the hell? I don't have a bone affliction that twists any other joints or bones in my body. Is evolution trying to tell us that it made a mistake and opposable big toes were better? I was even more convinced of this when I read up a bit on the evolutionary changes to ankles and feet that are unique to hominids. Oh no! My ankles pronate. Will my anticedents be more ape-ish? Actually, now that I think about it supination is probalby more apish. Never mind.

The biggest thing that bugs me about bunions, besides how they look, is that I'm no longer comfortable running. I used to be able to run forever without any discomfort. Now...not so much. Bah. Now I wish I'd done more running when I was younger.

Ummm, oh yeah, another thing that's bugging me. Hairbands (headbands). There are lots of women my age who can pull off headbands. They look sophisticated, sleek and chic. Me? Think Charlotte's mother-in-law Bunny. I wear them for training but I also wear spandex tights. All is forgivable if it's done in the name of fitness....sort of. Anyway, my hair is an awkward length right now and I wish I could wear a headband to work. It's driving me CRAZY, hanging in my face. WHY?? Why can't have a normal-shaped head that lets me wear headbands?? Or any type of headgear, for that matter. I don't suit hats either. Okay, fitted caps are fine, but only with a pony tail. I am afflicted.

and speaking of afflicted...

...what is up with Canadian celebrities who move to the States and make it big? Are they suddenly afflicted with alopecia?















All I can say is, Ryan Reynolds had better take care of his scalp and try not to get stressed out. huh, not so difficult to find an excuse to post a photo of a hot guy.

No comments: