Tuesday, September 23, 2008


Ryan just called to tell me that a university friend of his was struck by a car and killed this past Sunday. The accident happened in Alberta but Brad's family is in Ontario and New Brunswick so Ryan doesn't know yet where the funeral will be.
This is one of those mom moments where you hurt for your kid and there's nothing you can do except offer them a ride to the aiport. Brad is the first friend of their group to die so it's a bit of a shock. He and Ryan were pretty close friends and they last spoke a couple of weeks ago. I feel so bad for him but can't provide much comfort because I barely knew Brad. He and another friend of Ryan's stayed with me for a couple of days on their way to treeplanting in B.C.. All I remember is that he was the shorter and more polite of the two blond-haired boys and I told the bartender in the Crooked Cue that all three were my sons because they were only serving people over 21 (some dumb phase they went through). I hope Ryan will be able to go to the funeral - it's much easier to make sense of a young death when you're with friends.



No comments: