Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Oh yeah, nice weather is always a plus. I paddled tonight in spite of a ridiculous wind coming straight down-river. I was actually surprised at the water temperature. I'm not going out on the lake yet but I was in the harbour and it was reasonable - probably about 8-10 degrees! It's also nice to be back at the club. I haven't seen any of the kids yet - they're always in paddle pool or doing weights - but I'm looking forward to the summer.
Peter and Jess were there, they just got back from Florida on Tuesday. Peter was booked for 4 full weeks of camp this year and it sounds like there are some interesting stories.
I saw Daddyo out walking on my way home. He looks good! Nice to get a visual since I haven't seen him since I got back.

Back to C.R. - Tuesday.

So there are a few things on my schedule that I kind a go "hmmm...." about. One of them is this morning's Spanish lesson. However, after 3 and a half days I've realized what a dope I am to come here thinking that similarities between French & Spanish would carry me through. I haven't gotten my 'ear" for this language yet so when people in stores and restaurants say anything, I can't even catch a word of it. I've already got a bunch of questions for J. when she meets me at the pool bar with a green blackboard.

This is the first time I've met J-3. She and her husband are the managers of the surf camp. She's the epitomy of a California girl - blond, tanned, fit and an accompished surfer. She has a degree in Latin studies which is what brought her here originally.

The stuff she gives me is so useful that I'm glad it's on their program. Thanks to our diverse coffee community in North America, I already know how to ask for coffee with milk but there is one phrase in particular I want to learn and she writes it out for me on a post-it. "Cafe con leche para llevar". It'll be no surprise to my friends that this is so I can ask for my coffee to go.

I learn more in an hour than I did from listening to "Rush Hour Spanish" for 3 weeks, the commuter Berlitz CD I picked up once I'd decided on a trip to Central America. Granted, I learned how to count to 12 and name the colours of the tie or skirt I might wear...

J. and I end up chatting more about ourselves by the end of it, how she came to be here, her surfer-life in CR with her husband and their 4 year-old daughter Alana. When I mention that I'm already comfortable in Dominical and would consider getting a residence, she makes an off-hand comment that I should just marry a Tico. This isn't the last time I'll hear this recommendation during my trip.

No comments: