Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We had pretty amazing weather all through the long weekend. It wasn't excessively warm but at least it was sunny. I slept in late every day and then paddled once the air warmed up a bit.

My good friend Susi drove down from Sutton for the night on Friday, a big undertaking since she had to organize the care and feeding of her 3 dogs and 1 cat. We had burritos (did I mention I make a perfect burrito now? Yep, as good - no - better than Burrito Boyz, no lie! Just ask and I'll make you one!) and drank pina coladas because I hadn't made it to the liquor store before they closed for Good Friday. We ate cheezies and gained, I mean watched, Seven Pounds. And then talked until 3 in the morning. She had to leave pretty early the next morning because her grand-daughter was going to her house to colour easter eggs. I did some gardening - which as you know means mostly ripping up weeds in my backyard - until I got tired of it. I decided to head down to meet the guys at the Brazen Head early after all since I was bored of the garden.

So, game 2 . I met the other guys from our section (Toby, Larry, Attila and a bunch of Burlington guys they know) at the Brazen Head for a pint. Harely and PJ (Dominique's husband) were also there on someone's extra tickets. So great to see everyone. The bar was packed - all TFC fans. Around 3:30 we headed back to the stadium where I met up with Blake and Greg outside Gate 1 - they were taking my other tickets.

I'm loving the new seats. I prefer standing and think it's actually easier to stay warm! Tie 1-1 but at least they played better this week. I had driven down and parked behind Medieval Times so Blake, Atti, PJ, Harley and I went out for some refreshments while we waited for the post-game traffic to lighten up. We went to a place called Jolly's just north of the Dufferin Gates. Their server is the cutest guy with the sexiest french accent ever. Definitely not from Q.C. since he was as easy on the ears as he was on the eyes. I haven't seen Blake or Harley in ages so it was great catching up. Harley, who was in Costa Rica at the same time as me, was trying to convince me to go back with him in May but since he's actually going to visit someone there and isn't offering to pay my airfair, I said "pass".

Huh. I had written the owners of GI a note about what a great time I had in Costa Rica and I just got an email from them tonight saying 10% off my next visit or for any of my friends who come on my recommendation. Pretty sweet since it took no effort to be positive about my experience. It's especially good because you don't have to take some mega-package, they also just rent boards or give one-off lessons.

Meanwhile, back at the canoe club...
They put the docks in a few weekends ago and they've added some braces to hold them out and away from shore. Really good, especially for when the river's low. Drayton checked the water temp a couple of days ago and the river was 10 degrees. The lake is also warmer than normal which is a little weird. The water level is really high right now so I'd expect the water to be colder. I'm not questioning the conditions though - too many years we've had the opposite.

Most of the canoers and kayakers are on the water. There are some really good midget-juvi paddlers coming up. And with women's canoe potentially getting an event at the next worlds, there are even a few girls out there in C-boats. The other day, Olek broke his paddle mid-stroke and fell on the broken shaft, face-first. It cut his face pretty badly but no stitches. He's pretty sure it happened because he's just too strong. Anyway, pre-season injuries aside, I think Missy will have a good year. Trials are in Welland this year. I'll probably go to take photos but haven't decided about Worlds in Dartmouth. I'll be there for a wedding a couple of weeks earlier so may not make the trip again.

No comments: