Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday, I went to see my dad, first time since his last trip to the hospital. A nurse goes in to administer the iv drugs every day and he's still on oxygen. At first I was stunned by how alert he was, then realized it was most likely due to the oxygen. Miriam was the caregiver on today. She was feeding him the nursing homes gelified version of breakfast - anything solid is watered down and anything watery is thickened by some powder they add. He still frequently chokes on it though - a horrifying few moments with soundless gagging while he tries to pull air into his lungs and form a feeble cough - there's nothing you can do but wait it out. Things that were alarming a couple of years ago are just routine these days.
Miriam said she just passed her citizenship test and will be attending the ceremony tomorrow (Family Day). She said she had failed the test once because they changed the questions. I wasn't sure what she meant so she explained. New Canadians can choose to study from the book provided by the government or from the actual test, with answers, that's posted on the Internet. She had been studying the one on the Internet when Canadian Immigration had actually changed the tests. So she failed. This time she had passed because the correct cheat test was online. I smiled and congratulated her when I was actually pissed that so many people are getting their ticket to border freedom (Canadian passport) without bothering to learn anything about the country. Yeah, I know, how naive am I.

No comments: