Friday, February 25, 2011

Last night was Peter's indoor paddling event. Chanda drove to my place and we car-pooled in to OPA.
Quite a few people were there - Nathan, Stringer, Dray, Attila, P.J. and a few of the Mayfair bunch. It was a good event - lots of races, lots of cheering, good results! Pete had also brought in beer and sandwiches from the butchers/caterers. I've posted some photos on FB.
Kaylynne's home for reading week and we decided this was a good venue to get together. She brought me some honey from her dad's beehive and a whole bagful of kekoi from her trip to Kenya.
It's so great to see her! Of course I had to see the scar from her (unexpected) heart surgery at Christmas. It's much smaller than expected and looks like it'll fade quickly.
When Kaylynne started pulling the fabrics out of her bag, it looked like she was opening a bazaar. They're all such gorgeous colours, I had trouble deciding and had to limit myself to seven: 2 x 4m fabric, 4 kikoi and 1 kanga (I can't remember if this is what Kaylynne called it but she explained it as the wrap people use to carry babies or, you know, wood).
She, Chanda and I were just hanging out together and I can see why some people say we girls are sometimes cliquey or even bitchy. There were other people to talk to and we should have really been circulating but since we haven't seen each other in awhile, we have lots to talk about, mutual friends, stories to share. I had every intention of going to talk to this person or that but before we knew it, most of the people had left and the guys were getting their poker on.
Kaylynne is finished school this year so back in the 'saug for the summer (after a brief stint in Kenya, mentoring new students). In the course of our conversation we determined that we'll do dragon boat together (the heart surgery has forced her to retire from high performance kayak), form a(nother) book club. Kaylynne and I also discovered we both intend to take sewing lessons so there's that too. We have our hearts set on Chelsea's mom for a teacher but realize she's probably too busy. We figure kikoi would make amazing boat and paddle covers.
I grabbed my stash of beautiful fabric, seriously feeling like a gypsy, and got ready to leave. No way was I getting sucked into losing my money at poker (I've only won twice while playing with the guys). Kaylynne was leaving to return to PEI with her sister + sister's boyfriend first thing in the morning so we said bye at our cars
I had a raging headache for some reason so after I dropped Chan at her car, I went straight back out to shoppers to get a giant bottle of advil.

No comments: