Thursday, June 16, 2011

Everything changes so suddenly! It's great. This past winter, lots of evenings were spent lounging in front of the tv. Now I'm so busy, I'm never home. Besides my fabulous social life, I've entered a bunch of paddling events, an adventure race (my first) and planning another trip, possibly late fall, possibly Hawaii. I'm not just aimlessly paddling or running around the neighbourhood anymore, my training has a focus.

I've got a new fin for my sup board (thanks Mike!) and am still crazy about stand up! I'll be buying a new, lighter board before the fall although I'm also looking for a new OC-1. Gah, too many toys.

Last Sunday I was on the beach at 8:30am. I was only planning a short paddle but after doing 5k, I sat on the beach with my coffee, looking out at the lake. The wind was coming up and it wasn't long before I wanted to go back out again. I did 4km more, sat in the sun and wind for a bit, then decided it still wasn't enough fun. It had picked up even more by this time. By the time I was done, I'd clocked 12km total so I felt pretty happy.
When I got back to the beach, the crepe cart was there. I asked her to do me up a banana-nutella crepe while I put my gear away. The water is so high right now that the beach where I park has narrowed to a 2 foot strip. I could walk down to the larger beach but didn't see any reason. Besides, walking along the beach with a plate of crepes just attracts seagulls. I learned my lesson in Florida - seagulls will snatch food right out of your hand! And even though I don't think JD gulls  are as smart as the ones on the Gulf coast, I settled on a kikoi with my breakfast. You don't always need a long stretch of beach. As long as my butt and toes are in the sand, I'm content. Although I'd be lying if I said I don't miss this Costa Rican beach...

No comments: