Wednesday, June 08, 2011

So going back to two weeks ago...

Greg had listed a house on Mona Ave and I asked for a viewing. We met there on Friday around 5pm. I loved it in spite of the fact that it's about 250m from the GO station. And even though I'm not prepared to put my house up for sale right now, it's good to start thinking about getting EXACTLY what I want if I'm going to continue living in the area. This was an older house in a great neighbourhood, large yard and finished basement. The purchase price was around what I could sell mine for but I knew it would be gone before the weekend was over - probably in a bidding war. I'm content in my current house but will now start to get it ready in case THE PERFECT property comes up.

After that we headed over to Blake's for a barbecue with the Hara, Phelon & Secko families. I haven't been around that many kids in a long time and it was really fun. The layout of Jackie and Blake's is perfect  - the kids were in the basement or bedrooms most of the time and there was very little controversy. Everyone's doing great. Have I said this before? I love that everyone's back in the same neighbourhood! Amy dropped by for an hour a little later in the evening, after Derek had picked up the boys.

After a couple of drinks Blake started asking me about my dating life and when I complained about the lack of eligible men with no baggage, he started wondering, Stringer-style, if I had considered women. Do you remember Chris' theory that 73% of women have lesbian tendencies? When we were in Poland, he kept asking women on the team if they'd "do another woman" and then telling them they were liars when they said no. Anyway, as much as I reassured Blake that I'm a confirmed heterosexual and being 52 means I know that's for sure, he was really digging in. At first it was funny (typical Blake) - Amy and Jackie were just shaking their heads and no help in redirecting him - but it went on for so long that I transitioned from entertained, to uncomfortable, then bored, to wondering if people actually thought that. Seriously, I wasn't so upset that he might think I was a lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that) as I was that he believes I'm striking out with THE ENTIRE OVER-40 POPULATION, not just men. Driving home I decided not to read too much into it - it was an alcohol fuelled convo that had spun off in an odd direction from which it couldn't recover.

No comments: