Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gone Baby Gone


I've been loving all the paddling time I'm getting! Last week there was tons of lake action - wind, waves - fun all round.
On Monday, I got to the parking lot around 5:30am and found it packed with Ministry and City pick-ups, a transport truck, a couple motor boats and a ton of workers. Looks like it's Canada Goose round-up time again!


They had snow fence and a blue tarp set up like a cattle shute to the back of the transport (one of the livestock type of trailers). I just got my boat together and went for a paddle. It was exceptional out there. Lots of waves and wind from the SE. I was able to put in a solid hour before work.

They were well into the goose-drive by the time I got back and there were lots of local spectators. I didn't want to get caught up in a discussion about the process with anyone so cleared my gear up fairly fast. I'm a fence sitter when it comes to the Canada Goose harvest. I agree with the opinion raised in this debate many times, give the goose carcasses to  local food banks, homeless shelters, animal shelters or whoever wants them. No natural predators means we either have to introduce one to their environment or become one ourselves. I see a couple of coyotes in the area but they can't even keep the rabbit population under control. And does anyone really want more wild dogs roaming around the neighbourhood?

Now, there are NO geese in the area. None. I haven't been up the river or in the greenspace but as far as the lake, it's just swans, cormorants and seagulls. But of course in a year they'll be back and  pooping everywhere again.


No comments: