Tuesday, June 21, 2011

So about 3 weeks ago a guy at work asked if I'd like to do an adventure race with a couple other board employees. It was a timely request since I'd just decided (again) to start training properly and get back in shape. They thought I could do the paddling and some running legs. Even though I don't run regularly, I figured a dedicated program for 3 weeks would put me in a comfortable place. Too bad I caught that terrible virus that knocked me flat for about 10 days! The week before the event, I was back on my feet so I did one 5km run that hurt in a way that made me decide to forget about 'training'. Better to just go out and do it on the day. I could go hard and deal with the residual pain at my leisure.

The paddling leg was 8km on Rice Lake so I got up at 5AM on race day and was there by 7:30. I'd only met my paddling partner once when he dropped by the office to deliver maps and waivers but we had the whole 8km to get acquainted. There were more than a few marathoners doing the event, and it was no surprise to run into Don S. who told me he's getting married in 2 weeks. He's always given off a bit of a gay vibe so I was never sure of his orientation - and honestly, I'm still not. I told him I'd been saving mysefl for him but obviously it was time for me to get on with my life.

It was a staggered start - 3 groups, 5 minutes apart. We were in the last group to go. The paddle was fun but fairly uncomfortable since we had to wear lifejackets, it was a rec canoe and my partner was strictly a cottage paddler & j-stroked the whole route. He thought we were smashing course records when it felt to me like maybe he was facing the back of the boat, paddling in the opposite direction. At one point I mentioned that maybe we could try to find a comfortable way to stroke together but it didn't seem to make sense to him. I didn't mind though. I was having a great time on new water and it was a beautiful day.


We chatted while we paddled and through the usual twists and turns we found out that we had both cottaged on the same lake in the Kawarthas! In fact, our cottages were side-by-side. We really only went up in the winter and they only went up in the summer so we never crossed paths.

I didn't have another leg for a bit so I headed back to the city. Not knowing the people on the team, I was a little worried that I might be the least fit but they had stressed many times that we are strictly a FUN team.

No comments: