Sunday, October 29, 2006

Weird day. One lap around the neighbourhood convinced me that maybe I should stay inside. It kind of unfolded like a music video so I guess I could use it as inspiration to write a song.
I drove down to the harbour to walk the dog and had to detour because the police had a crime scene marked off - the whole block on Lakeshore from Mississauga Rd. to John St.. Then there' s the extreme weather conditions to add to a charged atmosphere. It's so windy in Port Credit right now there's flying debris everywhere. Walking along the pier was awesome and made my eyes tear up with the force of the wind. I just checked the Port Credit Weather station (link at right) and it's 40 km/hour with gusts up to 100 - a straight tailwind down the river!! Guys, I could break 1:40 in a time control today (and I'd go out and do it if I thought I could actually get my boat up to the 500m).
Anyway, after I left there I drove up Clarkson Rd to Bruno's and around Truscott I see a guy standing on the side of the road. He's wearing the combat uniform of an american soldier circa WW II complete with rifle and camouflage face paint. If he'd been walking I'd have thought he was on his way to a Hallowe'en party but no, he was just standing there.
In Bruno's, I bought some breakfast sausages and the butcher boy was very strange - he insisted on wrapping each sausage separately. WW II dude was still standing at the side of the road as I drove back down Clarkson 15 minutes later and as I was turning the corner at Lakeshore, paramedics were bringing someone out of the Pump and Patio on a stretcher. I got to the next traffic light which was red. As it turned to green it immediately turned red again. A few seconds later it blinked off completely. Thankfully I was almost home where I knew I'd be looking at a power failure (=crashed computer). I can't tell you how happy I was when my computer booted up normally. I really need to back up those thousands of photos on my hard drive!
Since that worked, I thought I'd take a shot at rebooting my day. I went to the F.I. for a run, swim and hot tub then headed over to Carrie and Attila's for football and poker. There were five of us and although I didn't win, I was final two against Attila. So, my theory seems to have worked - when things get weird, go for a run.

1 comment:

Bergique said...

That kind of a day would have plopped me right back into bed, to stretch, check out the weather through the blinds, and then get up - on the other side!!

Glad you made it through, and in the end had a great time.