Friday, January 05, 2007

As mentioned, my holidays were pretty uneventful but one of the fun things was helping Matt surprise his girlfriend, KC, on New Years Eve.
When we had the paddler party at my house, KC told us how she surprised Matt in Halifax for his birthday. KC goes to Lakehead in Thunder Bay and
her parents live in Oakville. Matt is from B.C. but goes to Dalhousie. So anyway, the day after she told us how great it was jumping out of some dorm-mate's closet to surprise him, Matt emails that he's flying to Toronto on December 31st and asks me to find out where KC will be on New Years Eve. The only problem was there were no set plans for New Years. For awhile it looked like it would be at my house just because nothing else was going on. I thought we finally had her pinned down as coming to my place when Pete decided to have a party, THEN I get an invitation from KC for a party at HER house. I told her I'd drop in for a bit and asked if I could bring a friend. At the last second, I added, "He's house trained." So lame. KC took that literally and decided I must be bringing a puppy.
All the usual things went wrong; Matt's ride couldn't make it to the airport, his flight was delayed for an hour in Kelowna but it was so worth it. I picked him up at terminal 1 and drove over to KC's. Matt was leaning against the door jam when she opened the door. I swear she went through 8 distinct emotions; deer-in-the-headlights for a full 45 seconds, then confusion, refusal to believe, getting in close for another look to make sure it wasn't a trick (like what? Dustin in a Matty mask?) and then full out jumping up and down screaming!! That lasted, I'm not kidding, for about 4 minutes. It was awesome! Everyone else was in the basement and came running upstairs. Dustin's reaction was only slightly less enthusiastic when he arrived a few minutes later - and, as we'd all predicted, asked within seconds, "Is Chris here too?".
I headed over to Peter's party after that. It was perfect... low key, small group of friends (I barely noticed I was the only not-a-couple) and I finally got a chance to catch up with friends I don't see nearly enough!

No comments: