Monday, January 22, 2007

So, a team meeting and retirement party on the weekend. Our coach and drummer both retired. We're all really sad about it but we've had a long time to get used to the idea. Not that that makes it any easier but fortunately they are also my friends so I get to see them socially.
And no surprise, it takes two guys to fill Blake's very stylish Campers. We're really lucky to have two former Olympians as new coaches - Larry and Gavin. Gavin (aka Dr. Hot) was there for the whole meeting and got a chance to see what he's in for as coach of a women's team. When he asked jokingly about whether there would be a team shirt for him, Jess commented "I believe we've determined that a shirt will not be necessary." It's doubtful that men could ever get away with the types of things we say if roles were reversed.
We haven't even been able to come up with anyone who can replace Jackie. I can't imagine that there's anyone who could come close. The role of the drummer is crucial and I'm not even exaggerating a little when I say that Jackie defines it in this sport. Okay, I've just deleted a whole bunch of sentimental stuff about how great Jackie is because it was making me all emotional and so far, I've been able to keep a lid on it.
So.
It was really difficult to come up with an appropriate gift for these two people who have been the heart and soul and backbone and livers and kidneys of the crew (okay maybe not Blake's liver). In the end, we decided that the best gift would be a permanent, living dedication that everyone can see. We're going through the city of Toronto to have a tree dedicated to them. This is a great program - you can choose which kind of tree - Jackie I'll send you the link - write your dedication for the plaque and choose the location . We're getting it planted overlooking the racecourse at Marilyn Bell Park. It'll be great and we'll have another party once it's planted. I will let you know when that is once we know.
How crazy is that someone inspires the phrase "end of an era" when they're barely over 30 yrs old?

No comments: