Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All of my devices (GPS & iPod) are on low battery so I'm killing time on the motel office computer while they recharge.
This morning I woke up at 7am but instantly fell back asleep until 7:45. Within that 45 minutes I had a crazy, anxiety & anger-filled dream that was incedibly detailed. (it was about having to finish the swimming leg of a relay but I was frustrated by forgotten equipment, rescheduling of the relay, no transportation and someone strangely trying to stop me from racing). I put it all down to the residual, smushy pain I was feeling under my left shoulderblade.
Anyway, By the time I woke up, I knew Pete's group would just be gathering at the boat ramp for the 8am workout so I decided to go to Starbucks before my paddle

There's nothing like motel living to make you appreciate Starbuckers and the like. This particular store has their comfy furniture arranged for single visitors with a couple of tables scattered around. Anyone who frequents the PC Starbucks can tell you they'd do well to follow this model. I've been in there many times (usually in the afternoon and evening) when every table has only a single user who is taking advantage of the free wireless, reading or just loitering. Actually, I shouldn't complain. I once met a guy because we shared a table there and started chatting. We went on a few dates but it didn't really go anywhere. Anyway, the point is I'm so happy to have somewhere out of my room to enjoy my coffee and book in a comfy chair. I'll often go over to the park at the bayou but those benches are hard.

Around 9:30, I headed out in my boat, going up the Anclote River instead of towards the Gulf. The tide was going out so I hit the bottom around 3.5kms and had to turn around. I worked it up to 9km by paddling up towards the Gulf a ways.

As I was passing under the final bridge, Jess ran by overhead. She wanted to go for coffee in a half hour - after her run, but I'd made plans to ride down to Dunedin and declined. I had my afternoon pretty much mapped out.

I made good time and decided to stay for lunch. The patio at Kelly's was hit and miss with the sun but I didn't mind. You can tell the Canadians - we're the ones wearing short sleeves and no jackets. I'm still blown away by how good the service is in the US compared to Canada. Servers are polite and attentive compared to our surly and bitter ones at home (or is that just T.O.?)

I wandered a bit and bought a wooden mermaid as a souvenir. It's similar but not identical to the one below - painted white, she carries a star in outstretched arms. I really like it and am excited to find a place for it at home. (oh my god, I'll be wearing a purple hat soon). Since I was riding my bike, I had to tuck her into my bike bag with her tail sticking out about a foot. It looked like I was bringing fish home for dinner.

I took it easy in my room for awhile but when I got ready to go out again, the door wouldn't close and lock. It's been doing this all week - I have to slam it in order to get it to lock. However, today it's hit the point of no return. I had told the maintenance guy about it before just because housekeeping didn't always make sure it was locked when they left the room. He kept putting me off but this time he had to fix it.
Just noticed the time, hopefully my GPS & iPod have enough charge for the next paddle. I was hoping the wind would die down a bit by evening but it's looking pretty strong. Doesn't matter...sun is shining.

No comments: