Monday, March 22, 2010

Yesterday it poured rain with lightning so Jess and I had breakfast at Danny K's and then went to the Gulf View Mall in New Port Richey (or Port Richey, I can't keep them straight plus their about 1km apart). I wasn't really in the mood for mall shopping but it was a distraction.

After I dropped Jess off at their place, I hit Panera's for a sandwich. Later, I walked over to Walgreens and took the long way home. The sky had cleared and there was a great sunset over the Gulf. I painted my toes with OPI's Hearts and Tarts and watched trashy tv for awhile. Early night since I wanted to get on the water as soon after sunrise as possible.

Woke up at 7:15, ate some yogurt and headed to the bayou. There was the usual headwind adn, when I picked up my boat to carry it to the ramp, a gust caught the boat sideways. In turning it intot he wind, one of my ribs popped out. I thought I might be able to work it back in with some long easy strokes but it didn't take long to realize that, yep, it's was popped out good. I couldn't take a deep breath. I paddled 10km anyway just because it feels good while you're paddling.

When I got back, I tried to find somewhere that sells foam rolls. Walmart sells them but only online - 3 to 5 days express delivery but they don't carry them in-store. I thought I'd found a fitness store really close by but when I got to the location, the street existed but didn't have the same name as it did on the map (every other street in the area was right). Also, there was a sign-making store at that unit number. However, just as I was making a u-turn, I saw a Cross-fit location. I went in and talked to the guy running it and he let me use on of their foam rolls to see if I could pop it back in. I wasn't able to there but it felt a little better after 15-20 minutes.

I decided to try Walmart anyway - you never know - so headed back to Port Richey to the Supercentre. They didn't have the proper foam roll but they did carry oversized pool noodles. I got one of those and cut it in half. I rolled on it a bit - no results but still felt a little better. I ate some lunch and had a bunch of water then tried again. On the first roll there was a huge crack and - HURRAY - I could breath without pain again. It's still tender but I went out this afternoon and had a wicked 12km paddle - 6 were in that killer headwind but the 6km back were pure pleaseure with the tailwind and tide bringing me home.

Now I'm doing laundry and will probably go for a run or bike ride tonight. I enjoyed my sunrise paddle so much this am I'm going to do it again tomorrow. This time I'm going to get up a little earlier and get a thermos full of Starbucks to enjoy on the beach at the halfway point.

No comments: