Monday, June 26, 2006

As mentioned, I spent the past two days at the Island for the db festival. It's always a good time but was kind of weird this year since so many people were missing. The women's race was okay but it wasn't really our crew. About half were at a flatwater regatta in Welland so we just got bodies to fill the boat. It never really came together but was good racing experience for all of us. SRS also put a throw-together team in the international race which was fun - eight from the womens team and random guys pulled mostly, I think, from Scotia-Rouge. None of the men's team were there except a couple who were coaching. Understandably, they chose not to race.
The crews I coach did really well - medals for everyone and a cup for the corporate team. Their president was there to see it and was very pleased. I think it's a good time to ask for a raise! The Kenyans were thrilled with their second place medal and put on a great performance on the awards stage. Later we went back to their team area at the end of the racecourse and danced and sang for about an hour. It was so much fun, I think I may go ahead with my plans to visit south and east Africa sometime soon!
The MCC group hung out at the marshalling area for a couple of hours and then headed to the patio bar at the ferry dock. The after-party, although not planned, was basically the same as always without the big entry fee and terrible food. It was a nice way to wind down before taking the ferry home.

The women's canoe group did amazing in Welland - Chrissy 1st, Eve 3rd and Rachel 4th in both 1000m and 500m, Jess was 6th and 5th respectively. I haven't heard about the 2K yet but imagine it was basically the same.
The men's canoe group did equally well on Saturday but I don't know how things went on Sunday. In the 1000m it was something like Paul Bryant 1st, Adam Klevinas 2nd, Chris 3rd and Dana 4th - not sure where Matt ended up or the midget guys. Will know more tomorrow.

Our juniors and U23 also did well in Bydgoszcz, Poland. Results are posted at http://www.canoepcf.org/events/bydgoszcz.html (scroll to the .pdf files at the bottom) but basically everyone made their A-finals. Canada was fourth overall in the standings. Not bad! It's been a long trip for those guys but they should be home soon. I can't wait to hear all their stories.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to post for each of these events soon.

3 comments:

John P said...

I heard that there's a group down in the bible belt that objects to the term "dragon boat". They want a more accurate name. I believe they wanted to stage an event called "Fictional Animal Racing Tourament".
Personally, I think these FART-ers are just a lot of hot wind.

Lynne said...

I've heard of this group and encountered some at various events - usually in the beer tent. Actually, there's a surprising number of FART-ers out there - and not just in the bible belt

John P said...

I find if I loosen my bible belt a bit, it helps with dealing with the FART-ers...