Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I was standing in Starbuck's yesterday morning and saw what I thought was a weird weather system coming in from the lake. Then I remembered that the four stacks at the Lakeview Powerplant were slated for demolition...

Oh yeah, something I meant to write about last weekend. I'll read anything by Fight Club author, Chuck Palahniuk. He is the master of creepy and I just picked up his latest, Haunted. So I'm reading the book before falling asleep one night and dropped it on the bed beside me. I turned out the light, set the alarm, rolled over and just as I was closing my eyes, saw the face at right glowing up at me - not the whole rectangle of the book - just the face. It was AWESOME! The cover is treated with some fluorescent material but it's a very subtle effect - eerie. The thing I love most is there's nothing on the cover or in the marketing that tells you about it. Sorry if I'm blowing it for you but the odds of you buying this book and recreating the situation are slim. You could always take it camping or to a cottage, get everyone telling ghost stories and then just leave the book lying around for someone to see as they grope their way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Actually, when I was telling the girls about it they all agreed that there's nothing in the marketing because mine is the only book that glows. They didn't come right out and call me crazy but it was clearly what they meant.
Nice - I just got an email from Dustin. He's had the flu but was still able to score another gold in C1 500m. Good job, D-Shaw!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Caught a little news clip on the tv of the 4 stacks going down. A little sad as they were always such a landmark when out paddling on the lake. It's really neat to see news about TO/ON and feel a personal connection. Good pictures.

Lynne said...

That's the first thing I thought when I heard they were being demoed - how will we know how far we are from home now that the stacks are gone??!
I'm surprised you saw a news item way out there! I hope it didn't make you homesick - oh but we'll see you soon! If you want we can schedule some outrigger time with Boog...Let me know if you'll have time.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I thought it was crazy that I just happened to flip channels and see it. Outrigger would be good. I'm actually going to be at my Dad's for part of the time so I was planning to get some on the water time in.