Saturday, August 30, 2008

McCain's kidding, right? (although considering how the american public bought the whole George Dubya business, you can see why he'd think this would work). The fact that things may be manipulated so they might actually win on this ticket is a sure sign of the decline of western civilization. Here's the Jed Report's take on McCain's ummm ... admiration for this former beauty queen.



The other night I wore jeans and boots for the first time since, I don't know, probably May? I love the boots though so didn't really mind- new Lara's from Browns. My feet, which have been happily free in flip-flops all summer, were not as impressed by the shiny leather as I was.

Paddling has been INSANE these past few days. Huge waves on the lake - it's been so much fun. Last night as I paddled into the 40-60km winds and ridiculous waves it occured to me that my son has no idea what I'm doing. I'm sure he pictures me paddling up the river in a leisurely fashion, maybe wearing a sun hat and gardening gloves. I don't know. Damn, I wish I'd had my camera this week. Anyway, I strapped on my ankle leash, adjusted my headband and headed out into mayhem. The waves were really...disorganized...so I paddled straight out. I met up with Stringer about 3 km out and he yelled something into the wind. I finally got it on the repeat, he was heading in after this run. Conditions were so bad that the fishing boats weren't even out there. Not one. There had a been a few the preceeding days (mostly racing for the port) which is nerve-wracking when the waves are so big. I'm not always confident they can see the outrigger sliding up and down the waves, peaks and valleys. I don't want to get creamed by a cabin cruiser. This night I only stayed out there for an hour but the wind was really ramping up and whipping the lake into a frenzy. I was still having fun but it was becoming a struggle. Once the percentage of work vs fun got to 80-20, I called it a night.

I came home and grabbed some yoghurt. No time for dinner, I had some serious shopping to do - a list that was in my head for a few weeks or months. I went to Home Outfitters and got new linens, a standing mirror, a lamp for my bedside table and then I dropped by Chapters to pick up a Starbucks mocha, some magazines and paperbacks. Last long weekend of the summer, I need reading material! I'd been home just long enough to getthe stuff out of the car, get downstairs with a drink, when the power went off. For 3.5 hours! Good thing I know where to find matches and at least one candle. Actually, I was surprised at how many candles I have around the house. I thought I'd packed them all up or thrown them out. By the time I gathered them all together, I was able to sit and read in the living room. Sadly, they're all scented candles which just tells you what a sucker I am for pretty packaging and smells. My house smells like vanilla-blueberry-musk-lilac-and some unknown scent from one I got at a candle party. Candle parties...now there's a definite sign of the decline of western civilization...


In a blackout you need a couple of things or it's boring. boring. boring. A man and... um...okay, one thing. This was the longest blackout I've had to suffer through alone in years. During the last major blackout, we were all at a db party at Rob's bar, The Underground, having a blast. We were actually sitting on the rooftop of the upstairs bar because the Underground had flooded (or closed due to underage drinkers, I can't remember which).
This time, home alone, no man, no wireless radio...(the wind-up radio/flashlight I bought at CAA last year broke on the first 2 cranks). I walked up to the corner around 11:30 and saw that the lights went out around Jack Darling and were on again around Carrie and Attila’s. Just one straight dark strip from the lake north through Lorne Park. I considered going to a Tim Horton’s somewhere but decided to just go to bed. I sat on the steps for a little while watching the sky. Without the lights, you could see the black storm clouds roiling over Lake Ontario. It looked terrifying and I considered what it might be like to be out there in the waves in the dark.

No comments: