Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Yesterday was the Olympic Send-off Party at Burloak. It started at 11:00 but I didn't get there until 12:30-ish, just as the speeches were finishing up. I was congratulating myself on good timing until I ran into Larry out on the lake this morning and he told me they started the event with a war canoe full of former and current Olympians. Wish I'd been there to get a photo of that.

Anyway, lots of paddlers were there to give Chris, Brady, Adam and Mark a proper send-off (and no, I'm not giving preference by highlighting Adam & Mark's names - click on them for their blogs). It was great to see everyone in one place since I've missed all national team trials this year and won't be at CCA.

They were giving out a poster of Adam that I like because it shows what he really looks like at the end of a race instead of the more common pretty-boy image shot minutes after the race has ended. I think all athletes will identify with the signs of exertion and effort in his face. Anyway, I grabbed the poster and lined up behind a 7-year old for Adam to sign it. Haha, groupie. 10 years ago I wouldn't have done that but now...psshht.

Actually now that I think of it, I've asked Adam for his autograph a few times starting with the silver medal he won at the Worlds in Atlanta, 2002. He had a bunch of posters made to thank his sponsors and gave me a handful. Chris Pellini wanted one and I told him I'd get one signed for him. I didn't see Chris for a long time - I think he left for university and then switched clubs - so I probably still have that poster. Now I'll be asking Chris for his sig!

The autograph I remember most was just before the Games in 2004 when I asked him to sign the Athens Olympic print I'd purchased at one of Jane's "See You in ..." fundraisers. I was fixing Adam's laptop and when he dropped by to pick it up, I pulled the poster off the wall and handed him a Sharpie. He said he was too embarrassed to sign it. I couldn't tell if he just didn't want to look silly in front of the girl he was with or if he thought it was defacing the Olympic print or due to some personal superstition (it was just a month or two before his first Olympic Games). Anyway, I told him he had to sign it. He laughed as he made a few false starts trying to find the perfect angle and location, saying he had no idea how to "autograph" something. I made an offhand comment that he'd better get used to it. Who knew!

That winter after he'd won gold & bronze in Athens we were all at a party at their place and he had boxes of promo photos. Everyone was grabbing them and asking for signatures so I picked up a few of those. To be honest, I have no idea what I'll do with most of them. The Athens print is on a wall but the others aren't mounted. I had one stuck to my bulletin board at work to inspire me for CCA and Worlds but took it down when I moved my desk. Ah well, when his acting career takes off (that's my prediction), I'll have some cool memorabilia that my grandchildren will probably steal to sell on eBay or something!

Anyway, as the Send-Off event wound down, Mike suggested we go over to the power boat club for a beer. He was annoyed that they wouldn't let him in the VIP area where they were giving out free Steamwhistle beer to the press and immediate family of the olympians. Larry was MC for the event and got Toby in but everyone else was getting turned away at the door by Geoff's mom, Noreen. (funny that they got the smallest person at the club to do security!).

I had a drink with Brandon, Duke, Mylene and Mike and then headed out to go shopping in Oakville.

So random, after seeing so many old friends, I walked into Lululemon and there was Lesley Naumowich standing right inside the door! She was in town for the weekend and had arranged to meet a friend there. She's moving back to Toronto in the fall so there'll be lots of chances to get together.

Mark Oldershaw & the Drake laugh it up. RUBE!

No comments: