Wednesday, August 27, 2008


This is my week of post-Olympic let-down. The games are like a really good book -maybe a trilogy - that you don't want to end because you like the characters so much. As you can see, I replaced the Beijing count-down clock with the Vancouver and London ones. It may seem I'm obsessed but one day you'll want to know how long until more Olympic drama and you'll appreciate having the answer at your fingertips.

I paddled Sunday evening which is always pretty nice in the summer. If it's sunny, there's music in the park across the river so after I finish my workout, I take my time coming up the river and unrigging (de-rigging?) my boat. It's very pleasant.

Olympic games-sleep deprivation hit me huge early in the week. Stayed in bed until 10 on Tuesday. It felt great until I remembered my manager had asked me to change my holidays at the last minute. I said I'd be back to work at 8:00 that morning. No big deal though since things are still a little slow.

Killed a GIANT spider in my basement. You don't understand! I have a solid rule about not killing anything intentionally. Insects & arachnids tend to be invisible for the most part so I just leave them be or move them outside. This one could not be ignored - it was somewhere between a small tarantula and badger.

Got food poisoning eating some mystery fish (basa) from the Supperworks collection.

Drank one glass of red wine too many, total=2 (I put it down to weakened resistance due to impending food poisoning)

Saw myself on tv and realized I really, really need to lose 20 lbs.

Had a really weird two hour paddle on Monday as the remnants of hurricane Fay wheeled around southern Ontario. When I left the harbour the wind was from the north. It became obvious that the wind was shifting about 2 degrees every 10 minutes. I should have had a great ride coming back in but by then it was coming directly from the south (sidewind). I ran into Larry around the Ridgetown so we paddled straight out for 30 or 40 minutes and had a great return ride.

Got flagged down by the marine unit as I came into the harbour. They just wanted to say they saw me waaaayyyy out there on the lake and were wondering what I was doing. I explained the waves+wind=fun factor but expressed my appreciation that they were lout there. The lake will be getting cold soon and it doesn't hurt to have friends with a motor and a warm blanket out there!

When I came off the water, some dragon boat crew was stranded without a coach because Dustin had either forgotten to arrange a replacement or the replacement forgot to show up. Either way, I made $80 for taking 12 people on the water for 30 minutes!

Do you ever feel like you're in a timewarp? I tuned the radio to Q107 the other day and heard, "And here's a cut from AC/DC's new album...". At first I was curious but right from the first note it sounded exactly like what it was - some old guys trying scrape up the last available $$$ by pumping out a faded version of the sound they churned out for a couple of decades. Bah, whatever. I may not be the best judge since I stopped listening after Bon Scott died.

No comments: