Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's not surprising that training camp has been on my mind considering the time of year. I'll be doing some Florida training on my own - runs, cycling, some time at the driving range and (hopefully) lots of surfing. The tough part is training on my own after I've been lucky to have some great training groups. We had an amazing one in Tarpon Springs in 2003, my OTHER best training camp.
We drove down in 2 cars - JS (the Sunfish), JS (gold-medal drummer), 310Del, the Running Girl, me and Andreas (who we'd all rather forget). We had a great time, munching on road food, talking on our Motorola 2-ways, right up until we hit Georgia...Yeah, two cars snagged for speeding and taken directly to the County jail. Apparently Canadians aren't always so conscientious about paying speeding fines and they wanted our cash before we hit the state line.
The Sunfish was hilarious with the state trooper...

"Can we take our picture with you?"
"No ma'am"
"Could you put us in the jail cell and take our picture?"
"No. Ma'am"
"Can I wear your hat...?"
"NO!"
"...while you take my picture?"
"Arrggh!"

Anyway, once the fines were all paid he relented. Nice Guy!

Tarpon Springs is an amazing location for both paddling and some downtime. Weeki Wachi is just an hour north while Clearwater and Dunedin are less than an hour South. (Sorry PB, the female fans requested another gratuitous Speedo shot, so you're it.)
AB, CL-B, TBjr & TT all made the trek over from Melbourne for the weekend party. What was the name of that bar? Mexicali's, Marguaritas??? No wait, I remember! Mexicano's. They LOVED us there - they gave us all hats and let us keep them. We went back the next year but they'd gone out of business (probably the high cost of hat overhead).
Some day, I'm going to get organized enough to put all these photos on a link. For now though, I think my blog is a little boring without pictures.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

OMG, what a great post. I was laughing out loud. Perhaps we plan a reunion of sorts some time.

I need to dig up the picture of 310Del eating meat for the first time in 11 years. Ahhh I love winning bets...and daiquiries

Lynne said...

Oh yeah! I forgot about Del breaking his vow of the vegan...you are a BAD INFLUENCE my friend! I would love to see any photos you have and have a reunion (somewhere warm would be nice but not necessary).