Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Weird. There were tons of Russians at the dog park this morning and they weren’t all together either. Their dogs were doing normal dog things but the angry owners kept yelling at them. Or maybe they were saying, “I love my little poochy” but it just sounded like angry yelling because it was in Russian. And I'm not saying there shouldn't be Russians at the park, it's just an odd coincidence that there were so many at one time.... ....or is it?

Stuff I forgot about from Saturday night at Torino House. We met a couple of guys there. Now here’s the thing. I went with two of my attractive friends from paddling so naturally guys were drawn to our group. I overheard one of them say, on encountering us at the silent auction table, “Oh, is this a mother-daughter thing?” Now, that’s a completely understandable assumption and it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was flattered that he believed these two were my offspring. However, a mutual acquaintance (male) tore a strip off him as soon as we were out of earshot, saying he'd insulted me. So when he approached our table awhile later, he tried a different tactic and said, “So, is this sisters' night out?” Ugh, completely insulting to everyone. On the one hand, why feel that you have to pretend that the older woman isn’t, you know, older and in so doing, infer that she is also vain and stupid? On the other, are these beautiful young women who are in their prime supposed to be flattered by a comparison to someone twice their age who is being held together by salon products and underwire???
He followed that up with what one of the girls called “speed-dating 101” where he went around the table firing shotgun style questions at each of us – name, job, sport, hobbies, max bench press (I’m not kidding) – at the end of which he chose one of the girls and said, “want to work out together sometime?” I have to admit he was smooth. We didn't have to go through the awkward what's-your-number-who's-got-a-pen-write-it-down-and-hand-it-over experience since he already knew her full name and place of employment. All he had to do (which he did after the mandatory 3 days) was call her workplace and ask for “Miss Amazing Guns”.
Oh, did I mention? He’s a hockey player.

No comments: