Monday, May 10, 2010

There's been a huge change in the weather. Cold and rainy. Is this going to be another one of those summers where it starts to rain thursday night and the sun doesn't come out until Monday at 6:00am?

On friday night, I had to finish picking my tile so met Mike at the tile store. After that I just headed home and curled up on the couch with a book.


Saturday was my mother's day instead of Sunday. First, I met Marisha at Starbucks to drop off 2 TFC tickets for Carmen and his friend Paul. I headed to the canoe club but took too long getting ready. I had an appointment at the bank for 10am so had to be off the water at 9:30. I didn't push off the dock until 9:04. The lake was messy - strong NW wind meets big swell from the SE. It would have taken too long to get out past the Ridgetown to do anything fun so I did a few runs in the harbour and went back in. Hardly worth rigging my boat, actually.
Ryan came over and since neither of us had eaten we went to Cora's for brunch. We ordered our food and sat chatting. After about 40 minutes I asked one of the bus people if they could check on our meal. She went and found our waitress who peeked at us around the corner made a face of shock and horror before disappearing. (about 15 minutes earlier she had dumped a large orange juice fully in the lap of a guy at the next table. She was having a bad day). Se returned in a few mintues and said she was really, really, REALLY sorry but our food was coming up soon! Really. I asked if she forgot to put in the order and she said yes. We decided to leave since we were on a pretty tight schedule and she followed us up to the front apologizing loudly all the way. It was really embarrassing. I told her she didn't need to apologize, we weren't angry, just hungry. Mistakes happen. Then the manager came out and he apologized all over the place. People were staring. It was so weird because we weren't making a fuss - they were. They gave us certificates for two free meals but the whole thing kind of made me not want to go back. I told Ryan this is why I prefer Helen's.
Anyway, by now it was 1:30 - as we drove past the box plaza at Southdown, I pointed out the all-day breakfast place by Candian Tire. We decided to give it a shot and we had eggs-bene and an omelete in front of us in under 5 minutes.


The weather wasn't getting any better but it wasn't raining (I told Ryan that was the deal-breaker for me) so we headed down to the TFC game on the GO. It started to rain the second we stepped off the train. Damn. The winds were 50-75km hour from the north so straight down the length of the stadium, straight into the net and our faces). TFC scored the first goal with an assist from the wind but they scored 3 more in the second half against the wind so it was worth sticking around!


We warmed up in the train tunnel until it was time to catch the train home. I was really wishing at least one of my bathrooms was functioning. Of all the days I could have used a hot bath...


On Sunday, I had to go back to the tile store early and finish choosing my tile. The plumber was coming over at noon to finish up the plumbing so that Mike can just come on monday, install the tiles etc. Richard was there from noon until 6:00pm. During one of his breaks we got talking about hobbies and stuff. He said that he played the accordian. I told him I had an accordian downstairs so he wanted to see it. It's actually my dad's accordian from when he was little - probably 8 years old. Richard played a couple quick songs - it was pretty awesome!


Since I had to hang around the house, I ended up cleaning the cupboards and shelves in the laundry room. Mike will be ripping those out later so I need to get them ready. I hated missing out on a sunny day and spending it in the dirt and dust but it's good to get that done.


Richard was hammering and cutting stuff upstairs and at one point I heard a crash. I didn't think anything of it but later when I went to the kitchen I realized it wasn't just construction noise. The vibration had shaken loose a light cover in the kitchen and it had smashed all over the floor. I didn't bother saying anything since all of my light fixtures are being replaced.

No comments: