Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Whirlpool!
This is one of the things that bugs me about renovations. They reduce us to being excited about things that...well, shouldn't be that exciting. But this makes me happy. They didn't have the plain-jane tub that I picked so the contractor got this one instead. Arm rests! Reclining back! Extra deep! Soothing jets of water! I'm kicking myself for not installing one when I first moved into the house. All of those 4 hour workouts on wintery Saturday mornings could have ended right there.

On my way home from work I picked up the shower heads I wanted. This contractor is so awesome! He spent the lunch hour in Home Depot sending me photos of tubs and fixtures after it turned out the ones I'd selected from the website were unavailable on-site.


It was super hot today (23!) and then, of course, we had a thunder storm. I had put in about 7 km on the water when it hit. Such a surprise because I was paddling south with nothing but blue sky and blue lake in my sightlines. All of a sudden the wind altered - there was still a stiff southerly but now it was also swirling around me. I turned to look at the flags on the pier and there was a giant black cloud crowding down from the north. My timing was pretty good though - I hit the dock on the first crack of thunder.

I was supposed to coach at 7:30 and kept checking the db cancellation line but they didn't cancel practices. It ended up being a bust anyway though. There weren't enough boats so my crew ended up having to take the old Cowan that Ian & Robert obligingly brought in from it's offshore mooring. We left the dock late, in the rain, did a half-assed workout with half a crew and had to come in early. There was some pretty spectacular lighting happening way out over the lake and one of the girls in the boat quietly kept insisting that she would "feel much better if we would just take her to the dock". She was seriously scared. And I wasn't ignoring her, we were just a km or so from the dock at the time. I told the rest of the crew that we were going to drop one person off but they decided we should just call it a night. Back on shore several people told me they were actually scared by the lightning but didn't want to speak up. Interesting that social fear can outweigh a primal fear.

I finally made a doctor's appointment for this annoying flutter in my upper right stomach region. It's been coming and going for about a year now but lately it's too frequent to ignore. Unfortunately my doctor is on vacation but they've booked me in to see his nurse-practitioner late next week.

And check out Kaylynne's blog for the "Disease of the Day - Diverticulitus". Not going to lie, I love her posts on favourite recipes and where to get the yummiest cupcakes but her adventures in clinical internship are equally entertaining!

Oh, and sometime on the weekend my blog passed the 25,000 visitors mark!

No comments: